CHOWDER-SMOKED SALMON for A la Carte School Lunch
We serve this chowder all summer long with Bob’s crusty bread.
4 ounces butter
- 6 ounces onions, fine mince
- 3 ounces celery, fine mince
- 3 ounces carrot, fine mince
- 6 ounces potatoes, small dice, 1/2 x 1/2
- 1 ounces ver jus or white wine
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half n half
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, flaked
- To Taste sea salt, ground pepper and coriander
- 3 Tablespoons chives, minced
- Optional: Swirl in 1 teaspoon per bowl basil infused olive oil
Place butter in a large saute pan and cook until melted and frothy; add onions, celery, carrots and celery; cook till translucent; add potatoes and ver jus or wine. Add the milk. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring well, being careful not to break up vegetables. For early preparation this portion may be frozen. When ready to use, thaw in refrigerator before using. Remember this makes 4 servings.
At service to make 4 servings: add cream and bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes on moderate heat, being careful not to boil; adjust seasonings; fold in 6 oz of the salmon and cook for 5 minutes. Portion in 7 – 8 ounce portions. Place 1/2 ounce flaked salmon on top with chives; swirl and float basil oil on top; serve.