SOUP, ESCAROLE WITH POACHED EGGS, PARMESAN, PISTACHIO AND GOLDEN RAISINS
4 tablespoons EVOO
- 1-2 bulb fresh garlic, halves, de-sprouted, sliced
- 1 heads escarole lettuce, chopped (or replace with Kale or combination)
- 3-4 cups chicken stock, hot
- Season with salt, pepper, coriander as desired
- 4 eggs, whole
- 2 tablespoon dried white grapes or sultanas
- 3 tablespoon toasted pistachio
- As needed shaved Parmesan
Place EVOO in large sauté pan to coat bottom of pan. Add garlic and place over medium heat, cooking garlic only slightly but not brown. Add escarole; cook to wilt; add stock and bring to simmer. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and coriander. (Note—under salt a little since you ae adding parmesan to the finished soup.) Crack eggs one at a time into the simmering liquid; time for 3-5 minutes-yolk should still be soft. (Or how every you enjoy them) Remove eggs to bowls with broth and escarole. Garnish each bowl with the white raisins and pistachios. Serve with shaved aged Parmesan cheese and crusty artisan bread.
Chef Note: Some might wonder if purchasing ready peeled garlic is a good idea. All I know is the level of pungency on which my recipes are written require freshly peeled garlic. After peeling garlic loses flavor rapidly. What used to take one head now might take two. So may save peeling time but could be more expensive in the long run.