SLAW, CABBAGE, KALE, GOLDEN BEET, ETC.
This recipe can be made with all listed ingredients or part of them. It is therefore easy to “free-pour” amounts using your “eye” for measuring by ratio when making this recipe. Use what is best and fresh, in the proportions you enjoy best.
- 1 bunch curly kale, destemmed and chiffonade (ribbon cut) optional
- 1 small head savoy cabbage, shredded
- 2 julienne carrots, (rainbow if available)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne, optional
- 1 tablespoon chili paste such as Sambal Oleek
- 2 tablespoons maple balsamic if available*
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, rough chop
- 1/4 cup chopped chive or 1/2 cup spring onion
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves only, rough chop
- 1/2 oven or grill roasted fresh pineapple or other fresh fruit in season, chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup toasted Marcona almonds, chopped, optional
- 1 golden beet, peel, julienne, optional
Place kale, cabbage, carrot, bell pepper into bowl. Add vinegar and chili paste. With gloved hands or tongs, work in the vinegar and chili paste, massaging them into the kale and cabbage.
Add parsley and combine ingredients except almonds in the bowl, if using them, add to plated salad.
Adjust seasonings, if needed. Add pineapple or other fruit if using.
Sprinkle with almonds on top if using, just before serving.