APPLE STRUDEL, a 2020 update
Chef Note: You may use a little more cinnamon here if you like more. You also may cut back on sugar if apples are very sweet.
1. Combine apples, measured cinnamon sugar, first melted butter, salt, vanilla, currants and allspice; mix well. Weigh mixture and create 2 equal portions-should be about 15-16 ounces each. Reserve.
2. Lay out one sheet of filo; brush very lightly with melted butter; sprinkle with approximately 1-2 teaspoon cinnamon sugar mixture; crumble one cookie and sprinkle over the sheet; lay on a second sheet on top of the first, and repeat six more times (7 sheets stacked in total).
4. Pick up the “strudel-log” with flat long spatula and move the roll to parchment lined sheet pan, seem towards center of pan; brush all around lightly with melted butter down to the seam.
5. Refrigerate this strudel while you work on second strudel.
6. Repeat all steps as the first strudel and when complete, remove strudel to other side the prepared baking sheet next to the first strudel with this seam also towards center; brush with melted butter over all and down to the seam.
7. Bake at 325ºF convection oven for 15 minutes; rotate pan and bake an additional 15 minutes. You may need an additional 5-7 minutes to complete. Final internal temperature should be an excess of 206ºF.
8. Remove to cooling rack. Cool completely before cutting at room temperature. It will hold nicely until service.
9. At service, cut off about 1/2 inch at both ends. This is a treat for the chef. Enjoy.